Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what would constitute a "big" brood nest. I get the sense that one full Deep Lang box is typical, is that correct? What would a large one amount to?

And how many bars of brood would be typical in a Top Bar Hive?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In my opinion big brood nests cover 8 frames in the top deep box and at least half of 5-6 frames in the bottom box. Right now most of my overwintered hives are like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much of that brood comb is drone comb? Do you keep the drone comb? and Will bees reconfigure drone comb into brood comb? I was wondering because I recently noticed quiet a bit of drone comb although, the hive is queen right.

Greg Watkevich

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Despite the industries best efforts, bees will make drone comb. It is normal and seems to make a colony happy to have drones around. So if you remove drone cells they will simply rebuild them.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
To me a big brood nest is when every frame in two deeps has brood, or when the bottom two are "mostly" (I know, a real accurate count, huh?) full and they are expanding into a third deep. Colonies like that become my instant "Here's where I'm going to split to make a nuc" candidates.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Adam Foster Collins, You might want to go to the TOP BAR HIVE forum and ask the question about - How many bars of brood would be typical in a Top Bar Hive? I was wondering that myself since i been adding bars to the brood area lately...I can say that i have 7 bars of brood in my Top bar hive!
P.S.- I just found out that its about a 1/3 of the area of your top bar hive!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Roland, those must be really BIG deeps ! I have never seen one that would hold 15 frames.
When I used Langstroth I used nothing but mediums. My brood nest was three mediums. This gives more comb space than 2 deeps. Believe me, those mediums are MUCH easier to handle ! It is a REAL JOY to have only one frame size for ALL your frames.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Victory1504 - We use standard 10 frame deeps for brood and supers, so all our frames are the same. Just because the queen is in one deep, does not mean the brood is all in one deep. You may choose to look for the queen on 30 frames, we choose to look for her on 10. A matter of preference.

Roland

·
Registered
173 Posts
"A matter of choice". YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ! Frankly, I don't "look for the queen" that often. I'm more concerned with a good brood pattern, eggs, and signs of swarm preparations, signs of disease or pests, need to super, etc.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
OK , I'd still rather have to only check 10 frames to check for .....

" a good brood pattern, eggs, and signs of swarm preparations, signs of disease or pests, need to super, etc."

You go your way, I will go mine, Enjoy.

Roland

1 - 14 of 14 Posts