Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm eyeballing the mound of dead bees behind my mouse guard and wondering if I should take it down. Maybe just temporarily while temps are temporarily high 30s, low 40s in Milwaukee. I'm worried the bees are flying out and then can't get back in with the mouse guard there/ can't fly out

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Just a thought:
how about adding a top entrance (inner cover with a notch) in addition to the bottom one ?

simple corrective measure without much trouble, and there is still some winter left.
when it gets warmer you can take more permanent measures.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Gus, can you remove it temporarily,long enough to reach in there with a stick, and drag out the dead? A little smoke would help calm them. I wouldn't remove it altogether until the temps are in the 40's day and night.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had the same issue, more bees stacking up than they could keep up with hauling out....my hives are close, so it's easy to go out and "sweep" the floor. My tool is a small piece of dowel (actually, it's the handle of one of those little US flags you stick in your yard), and I just lift the mouse guard out of the way and reach in and sweep them out and then the mouse guard goes back down....It was a mess at first, hundreds of them, but now I do this about once a week or so....gives me a gauge on my attrition rate and impact of weather (not much)...takes less than a minute, no smoke needed at all....but then, I generally don't do it when they are flying.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I chased (tried to kill) 3 mice out of a deadout yesterday. All 3 went into live hive next to it..DOH! :-( GOING W/TOP ENTRANCES THIS SEASON.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you get mice in a hive how do you get rid of them? I assume that a healthy built up hive won't allow them but what about a reduced cluster during cold weather?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Removed my guards yesterday, not in a micey area so shouldn't be a problem.
My thoughts are all areas are micey areas, and if you take them off to early (before bees can keep mice out), put them on late, or don't use, I think you are taking an unnecessary risk:eek: Gus979, Has it been so cold for so long that bees can not remove them? I realize that sometimes the guard gets clogged (large die offs?), but if it is reoccurring, and one (as opposed to the bees) is constantly removing clogs, it may be a symptom of another problem? In my experience if bees are flying, there are some bees flying taking out dead.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have ever had mice in a hive you will see. They build nests and chew up comb and frames. They make a mess.

Ken

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>If you get mice in a hive how do you get rid of them?

Chase them out and put on a mouse guard. Sometimes you have to set the hive on another bottom to do that. Sometimes you can use a wire with a hook and drag their nest out a bit at a time and they will run out.

> I assume that a healthy built up hive won't allow them but what about a reduced cluster during cold weather?

It doesn't matter how strong the hive is, the mice move in on a cold day when they are clustered and then when their nest is done, the bees can't get to them. They will devastate a strong hive as well as a weak one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts