Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know how bulk bees are shipped.

Do they include a queen to "calm" the bees?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Bulk bees are shipped as a queenless package. They are used to boost the population of a queenrite hive by introducing them to it with the newspaper method or using a double screen. If they are shipped with a queen then they are just a regular package used to restart a deadout or make a increase hive.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they in larger packages? Or are they in 3 or 4 pound cages like normal packages?

And who sells bulk bees?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I worked for a large package bee producer in California 20 years ago. He had big boxes made of plywood that measured around 3.5' tall x 2' x 2'. The box had a screened bottom and screened lid. I forget how many pound of bees we could fit in a box, at least 50 lb. He would use them when he went to buy bees from other beekeepers. The bees would be in those boxes for maybe one day, no queen.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If they are being shipped they would be in a cage according to the size of the bulk(booster) package( like a regular 2,3,or 4lbs package with queen). If you are picking them up you can bring your own transportation cage/cages of the size you want to deal with. Most suppliers that deal with packages are willing to sell queenless(booster) packages.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I most likely don't want the queens that would come with in packages...

Could I start nucs with "booster" bees and the queens that I purchase separately?

I would think that after a few days in the mail the bees would be eager to accept a queen.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes. Shake your queenless bees into your nuc and give them a caged queen with candy exposed. You could make it even better by giving them at least 1 frame of brood of all stages. What size nuc are you thinking and how many lbs. of bees are you going to use?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
There are a lot of reasons to order "bulk" bees some folks add them to a hive to produce comb honey - some will make their own packages with their queens they produce or some may start a 2 frame nuc and add bees to and so on and so on you are only limited by your imagination :scratch:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts