Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Split one hive a month ago yesterday. Should have had eggs yesterday but have no sign of them yet. Took a frame of mostly day old eggs from another hive to donate at lunch today in case something happened to her/them on her virgin flights. When should I start to get concerned?

TIA

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've found it's pretty close, though there is a +/- term included. I've also found that waiting a week after thinking there is a problem often solves the problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did a split on May 15th, frames of eggs, one of honey and no extra bees. The reason I did not add any more bees is that I was leaving the Nuc where my hives had been. Today the nuc was over flowing, found two QC with larva. So I put one frame of the new honey, into anothe Nuc, included a lot of bees, also went to my best hive and took out another frame of eggs.

I saw lots more drone cells capped so I am hoping to have a matted queen. ASAP LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
My first split of the year split was more than a week late. It's fine now. I think the new queen was just holding out for a better benefits package.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
30 days is usually plenty of time. You'll see if they start building a Q cell on the new frame.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Assuming your weather is under the ideal condition, the bee math is 100% accurate.
After the queen hatched passed her the 7th days hardening, it will take another 7 days mating window for her mating flight.
By then you should see some new eggs if you look inside the comb closely.
Mine got mated and laying on the 4th days within her 7 day mating window. Try to find her if you can to see
what is her condition either she is 3x bigger or still a virgin or missing in action. If missing in actin then need
to do something about this hive.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i did a split on april 18. i left the parent hive to make a new queen. i checked yesterday, the 20th and found eggs in the bottom box on new comb on foundationless frames. they were also starting to build a queen cup. i didn't see the queen. i was getting a little worried the other boxes were all pollen and nectar/honey. i'll check back when they are capped to make sure i don't have a laying worker, although the chances are good there will be lots of drones on the foundationless. the cells did look large, but only 1 egg per cell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Split one hive a month ago yesterday. Should have had eggs yesterday but have no sign of them yet. Took a frame of mostly day old eggs from another hive to donate at lunch today in case something happened to her/them on her virgin flights. When should I start to get concerned?

TIA
It depends on the queen you had for the split:
Raising a queen it takes 16 days since the egg is laid, usually takes up to a week for the queen to mate and about a week to start laying eggs.
If you have a mated queen it takes about a week for it to lay eggs after bees will release it from the cage.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Bee math is very accurate - you need to account for local conditions and situations - did your virgin queen return from her mating flight? Was the flight "successful?" The odds are such that some hives are not successful raising replacement queens. I am doing some queen rearing with friends. Do we expect 100% success? No. We'll be delighted with 20% success on our first go. We've read enough books so that we shouldn't be making basic mistakes but I project we'll make every mistake in the book at least once. Blaming our errors on bee math would be one such mistake.

In rereading your OP I see you weren't so much asking about bee math as to when you should get worried. I'd be getting nervous now, and if I did not have a source that would not be hurt by robbing a frame of eggs from them next week I'd be getting ready to recombine.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>When should I start to get concerned?

Assuming a walk away split on the 19th of April (a month from two days ago), I would expect a virgin queen to emerge on May 1st +1 one day. She will harden for a few days, then orient for a few days, then mate for a few days. These are dependent on several things, not the least of which is the weather. She should be laying somewhere between the 5th of may and the 22nd of may with the 15th being the most likely. If she is not laying by the 22nd (tomorrow) she is going to be a drone layer.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies. i'll check back on the weekend to see what's up and add another frame of eggs if i see nothing new.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. Split on April 22. Didn't see anything last Friday. If I don't see anything Monday, they'll get a frame of eggs or combined.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update - picked up a new queen from a local beek this morning for this hive. popped the hive open about 4 this afternoon. they immediately jumped on the cage when i put it between frames. kept inspecting and found a few nice patches of fresh brood in the upper deep. the only thing they did with the eggs i added last week was to cap them. i guess the split was successful after all.

another hive got the queen. it was a swarm i caught 2 weeks ago that i'm convinced is now queenless.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Did you see the new queen?
I wonder what color she is. I would look to see just that I'm curious to find out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts