Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been think about setting up a house apiary, sorta a cross between a pavillion and a long adirondack lean-to,to keep my hives dry and varmit & bear proof(?)
I like those eastern european ones I seen on line on some sites but can't imagine working those hives,and drifting too.
Anyone have or used a house apiary?
They say mean bees a no problem inside a building.
Any thoughts?

[ November 09, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: mwjohnson ]

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I agree with Joel. My hives are wrapped with felt paper to increase solar gain and heat input into the hive. This is very important in late winter / early spring when temperatures can still get very cold and the colony is rearing brood.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guy's,I understand exactly what you mean.
I just thought that something with board walls on north/east,open on south/west,to let sun in and keep wind& rain out,would be able to keep supers etc. there.
And then I could have somewhere to go where people couldn't find me. ;)
Mark

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mark, I know what you mean. Seeing those pictures put ideas in your head that keep returning. And why can they do it and I can't? Some of those Beehouses even had sleeping quarters.

We do have to block the N and W winds. Why not go a little further? Or put it on wheels and face East one day and West the next.

Anyhow, I'm with you. Just haven't figured it out yet.

Hawk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone who actually can use a computer might be able to help with some links,diane,but that someone ain't me.
I go to the beekeeper webb links(you know the one with a thousand great places to be on the webb)and then check out the slovenia,yugoslav,austrian,serbian,hungarian,croation,etc. beekeeping tours/reports and stuff.
It's fun,alot of carniolan bee pictures(MY favorite kind),a whole different twist on hive management,and those cool bee houses.
I just think that a house apiary concept would work for hobby types(me).
Anyway,I have learned that the hives that they use generally aren't a lang type,but a back opening,leaf like hive that I'm not even gonna try to spell.
I thought some Accu-slide drawer guides would work nice,just slide the hive into the house to work it from 3 sides.
They also use "containerized" hives,where they stack up like 2 rows of hives,6-8 hives per side on a platform,with a workspace in the middle,and roof the whole deal!These they move around.
It's a big wourld out there,eh?
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts