Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke down and bought the Varrox Wand (Fleabay $100) but in an earlier thread that I had asked about the various equipment, there was new)mention of burning the bottom board and as a first year beek, I had my normal panic. (keeping in mind for a living I manage 9 $ figure scale unionized heavy construction projects and never loose my cool-bees-well, I'm new at it:eek:) I did not want to set my hives on fire after getting this far with only a few incidents. In reading the recent newsletter of the NJBA's May/June, there was a small article on a Swedish designed hot box for vaping from the top down. The whole thing, in simple terms involves a wooden frame that mounded on top of the hives, with a slot that the wand lays in and the vapors go down through the hive. Seemed like an easier system for the Varrox and limits the potential fire hazards. Below is a link (in Swedish which I don't speak either) to some video's-if I could figure out how to do a link to the article I would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSy_gM1uqT8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9JSdu_9pr8&feature=youtu.be

Hey, the invented IKEA, what could go wrong?

LB

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Some people make a shim with a slot and do it from the top. You still have to be careful that the wand doesn't rest on the top bars. Most slide in a thin sheet of metal on the bottom board such as flashing. J

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The Varrox doesn't have a thermostat or any other form of temperature cut-out, and I'm surprised it continues to be sold without one. Nevertheless, it's a useful piece of kit if used sensibly. Just don't get distracted and walk away leaving it connected ! :)

If I were doing this - and I think a top-down application is preferable to bottom-up - then I'd place a few square inches of cement-asbestos sheet, glass-fibre fire blanket, or something similar under the Varrox applicator (with some easily cleanable metal sheet underneath the lot), and then let it rest directly on the Top Bars.

The only thing 'wrong' with this method is the time taken buggering about setting-up the kit each time - well, that and lugging a battery around. But - a perfectly sound method for someone with just a handful of hives.

For those with many more hives, with a bit of ingenuity it's possible to configure a DIY Band-Heater Vapouriser to deliver the goods 'from above'.
LJ

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
242 Posts
I didn't treat my nucs this summer for fear of scorching the bottom board. This easy method gives me great access to any hive that has a solid bottom board.

Thanks LarryBud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts