Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes hot, ahh it's Texas. Haven't been in the hive in 3 weeks, if it's not rain, it's hot, feel like temps of 105 or so. Mornings are cooler but girls haven't left hive yet for daily foraging. I know they don't like to be bothered early morning. They well be in and out like gangbusters till 4:30 5:00. I need to get in there, the last time I look they were all most 100% full. Need to check it out and more than likely take 4 or 5 combs of honey out so they can keep going. Girls have been unbelievable for there first year. :scratch: wish I could get one cool morning.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Grew up in North Texas so know ZACTLY what you mean. Ground is cracking, sweat dries immediattlly, only water for miles around are the irrigation ditches. (where we would go swimming). Lake edges 100' down from where they should be. Did find a lot of fishing lures that way tho! Do your bees have plenty of water??? Dont want them to run out!
On the opposite side of the coin.....So wet here my ground makes mushy noises when I walk on it. walk outside and its like hittin a wave of humidity! Havent been in mine either for about 3 weeks so dont feel bad. (I dont) Thats one reason why I decided to keep bees cuz it didnt sound like an animal/insect that needed me 24/7.
By the time I get off work and home....it's 6:30, rainy or wanting to rain and just not a good time to go knocking around the hive. This weekend will be here soon enough and I've blocked off a portion to play with the bees!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same here. Been three weeks,, but through the window things look okay, and there are even a few bumps of new comb. Supposed to head back down to the high 80s next week...woo hop!

·
Registered
721 Posts
You think it is hot there, how about 90 degrees and the humidity is so high that sweat pours off of you just watching your bees fly. But, less than an inch of rain all of July, where does the humidity come from? Everything on you is soaking wet. Sweat drips in your eyes and your hive thru your veil. You pull off your nitrile gloves and water pours off leaving shriveled fingers. Bees get really pissy when you drip sweat on them and you stink like a old wet dog.

I would take a dry heat any day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been, done that. There's plenty of humidity here too, when I start to un suit, I'm soaking wet, just love it. I went back to leather gloves cause I had the same problem with my nitriles. Falls coming, some time, not soon enough for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Need some suggestions, still haven't inspected hive, the entrances are facing the fence, there are 2 out of 3 open. Just went out and looked at that side of the hive, it looked like half of the hive bearded around middle entrance, up the side and looks like up under the cover, so I know they're also on top of bars, other than that they seem to be working the hive normally. Lots of coming and goings, did not expect to see that many girls bearding the back of the hive. Still hot with rain now and than in our forecast. By the time they really get on the move in the morning it's already getting pretty warm out. I think it's going to be a mess when I go out and open this thing up, any suggestions ? Need all I can get. Just might feels like was 115 this afternoon, it's almost 8:00 and it's still feels like 100 and still bearded below the bottom of the hive. Thought I'd have at least 1 suggestion by now. Well we see what happens in the morning, wish me luck !

·
Registered
721 Posts
Funny, I don't notice the sweat on my hands in the nitrile gloves until I take them off.
I can tell it when the water runs out of the gloves down my arm inside of my suit when I raise my hands to adjust something around my head.

I use the little blue foam things called Dry Brow to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts