Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was uncapping 2 medium supers full of honey yesterday using the mannlake hot uncapping knife it seemed the knife never really got hot enough it would start off good and then cool down too fast it took forever to uncapp so I was curious what method and tool works best for you?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Never understood the point of a hot knife. I used them and never liked them. I think someone just had too much time on their hands when they invented it.

I use a thin fillet knife. You could get them at any outdoor store for about $20. Cuts through the cappings like butter and there's no cord getting in the way.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I haven't done a whole lot of extracting but I used a long bread knife that I bought at cash and carry. Worked great and I didn't change the honey at all. I've also scraped down some plastic foundation with a fork and from one medium supper got about a half a pound of wax.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've tried the fillet knife both power & not power,All type of knifes over the years.I would not use any thing now but an uncapping knife(heated).Mark,,,,,

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
A real electric uncapping knife is expensive, and well worth the money. A cheap electric knife may not be worth a hoot.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used an old electric uncapping knife last year and ruined five pounds of honey. It was getting too hot and the honey would scorch where the heating element is located.I only uncapped two or three frames and had a few drops of scorched honey that mixed in and It ruined five gallon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a hot knife it won't get hot enough either. Mine doesn't have a name on it. I use an electric fillet knife and love it. I have used a regular knife but it can pull new wax apart so that's why i use the electric knife.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Deepsouth are you talking about a powered fillet knife ,either cordless or A/C or just a regular old hand fillet knife .
I use just a hand fillet knife. It needs to be thin. I dont even use a sawing motion. I cut through a medium frame in one swipe.
I just did 40 supers with this, so it definitely works.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I prefer to use it cold and it seems to work just fine. This way there's no change in the temperature and I can sleep with a clear conscious knowing I didn't do anything to alter it. I'm sure once I start harvesting more honey things may change. I've seen chain uncappers at work and they seem to beat up the frames pretty bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts