Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the driveway plowed and sitting back reflecting on the year we had and what we will expect in the future. We will need a dedicated place to handle the honey extraction. I have half an equipment shop interior measurements 22 by 22 that we will look to use. It has power, gas and water . The floor is concrete and needs work so adding inslab heat makes a lot of sense. My question is looking to the future how big a hot room does a person need to support about 200 hives. My goal is to stack the room full in winter for vermin free storage. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
22 x's 22 (that's feet I presume) is a pretty small space to set up an entire extracting set up including a hot room but guess it just depends what equipment you will be using.

Probably you should look at how you will set up the extracting line, wax seperator, storage tanks, bottling machinery, etc, see what you want, then figure what space it will fit into. Sounds like part of your existing shed could be used for a hot room, but you will have to put an extension on the building to accomodate everything else. IMHO.

You will need at least some seperate storage for boxes etc, or it's just going to be tooo cramped and hard to work, wet boxes are best stored away from the extracting area at least while extracting is in progress. Box storage need not be elaborate, last winter around 450 of my boxes were stored outdoors under a tarpaulin.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I am currently using a 8 x 20 trailer for storage. I am running about 80 right now I have all most enough room to keep a i'llw i'll a walkway In it. Across the front of the trailer I set 2 foot work table. It is about seven foot tall. So you should have enough room in that space for 200 hive of suppers

·
Registered
293 Posts
consider getting a 20ft insulated shipping container for storage. May be a cheaper option and can be sold if nolonger needed

·
Registered
285 Posts
Personally, if I was going to install radiant slab heat in a room or building I would want to use it for more than just storage in the winter. like building and painting.

You can probably squeeze a hot room and extract line into your building depending on equipment used. Make yourself some "paper dolls" so you can play around with layouts. A couple guys I have talked to have recommended that hot room size should reflect at least 2-3 days of your extracting capacity. So if you can extract 50 supers a day then you want to be able to fit at least 150 supers in your hot room AND have room to maneuver them in and out. Hand trucks and pallet jacks require a lot less space than forklifts.

Get yourself a container or cheap shed for equipment storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts