Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest hive 3 deeps now is hot I get stung multiple times every time I inspect this hive and they will follow me way farther than any other hive once I am done sometimes I get stung just walking by it I have already ordered a new queen for this hive my problem is I can never find the current queen and I mean never I am pretty good at finding the queen in my other hives but this one is super sneaky any advise on how to find her when my new queen arrives?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had the same issue with one of mine. I got a friend to come over and we suited up head to toe. I would pull a frame and look for the queen. If I didn't find her, I'd hand the frame to my friend. We kept doing this until about the 3rd from last frame when she found her. With their but in a cell they look like everyone else. Get some help.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
When I found myself with a strong double deep that was testier than I was willing to work with, I split the hive into 4 parts - and didn't worry about finding the queen until I saw which of the four had eggs. The way I did things required 4 purchased queens.

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
I have had some awfully nasty hives from time to time over the years.
Here's what I would do:
Smoke the entrance a bit more than normal upon approaching, then crack the lid and heave a few puffs in, then close for a few seconds.
With the lid closed, take your hive tool and separate the top box the CARRY IT ABOUT 50 FEET AWAY .
Continue to move the boxes away from the stand in the same manner..
Go through the bottom box first so that you can return it to the stand. Then the next.
Continue to use smoke.
Take your time; you will find her.
As you are going through, keep an eye out for open or mixed brood.
When you find and pinch the old queen, you will want to place the queen cage between open or mixed brood frames.
DO NOT POKE A HOLE IN THE CANDY !!!
With the cork pulled to expose the candy and the cage in place, reassemble the hive and stay away from it for a minimum of 10 days.
Do not be causing a disruption in any hive prior to 10 days after queen introduction, especially defensive hives!
I had several pallets of hives that I unfortunately queened with Texas queens a few years back.
I went through and requeened them all at once and the bees were on me so hard I could barely see out of my veil the cloud was so thick.
Never again.........

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yep, definitely you got a hot one there. They grow fast and produce a lot much like the AHB.
This brought back some bad memories for my first 2 hives from the local farm. It was
exactly what you described and I thought everything was fine since this is beekeeping anyway.
Then I found beesource and it wasn't what beekeeping supposed to bee. Now after keeping some
gentler bees with 1 or 2 annoying bees buzzing on a hive check I still think there are calmer, gentler
bees out there to keep.
Try to time your new queen arrival with finding the old queen. This way there is less pressure to find the
old queen while the new queen is waiting. You can find the old queen first and mini caged her inside the hive.
Then switch the new queen in after 24 hours of being queenless. It will take several hatching to completely replace all the mean old worker bees. Good luck on this one!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There was a nice YouTube video posted on this. The guy put queen excluders between the deeps and a week later, the one that had the eggs had the queen. If you can wait that long, you'd only have one deep to go through.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I found myself with a strong double deep that was testier than I was willing to work with, I split the hive into 4 parts - and didn't worry about finding the queen until I saw which of the four had eggs. The way I did things required 4 purchased queens.
+1

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so far the queen excluder idea sounds like my favorite simple and easy thank you all for your advise and opinions they are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I've only had to requeen a hot hive once. I did the Michael Bush divide and conquer method and it worked. It was still a pain, but it got the job done.

Only other real mean bees I've dealt with is a hive a cow knocked over. You could only get to about 15' of them and they came at you pretty bad. I waited a couple days and came back and same deal. So I went home and made up some HBH. I put it in a pump up spayer and started hosing them down as far as I could reach. Slowly moving and sparayed them down pretty well. They calmed down immediately and I was able to get them put together with no issues.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had to do this last year and it's not a lot of fun. I too would recommend either splitting the hive in half to see where the queen is.

Another trick to find the queen is to make a shake box by taping a queen excluder to the bottom of an extra deep, then dis-assemble your hive and reassemble it shaking all the bees thru the QE. The queen can't go thru the QE so she'll be left in the box. It helps to line the top of the inside of this shaker box with duct tape as the bees for some reason don't like to walk across the tape so they'll stay in the bottom of the box.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My hottest hive stung our inspector 50 times or more. I warned him, had an extra jacket, but nooooo. He preferred his vinyl gloves and button down shirt with simple veil. Later my buddy helped me find the shrew which he took to North central PA. I left them queenless. They raised another and thereafter became my most friendly ladies.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Why did he want a mean queen in his apiary? To sting another inspector over there.
And how come a mean queen can give off a gentler daughter queen? I thought it is genetic
that they are mean bees to start with. Maybe the gentle drones have something to do with it.
I felt sorry for the inspector though. Should of took your warning as bees are unpredictable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I requested the hottest hive I have ever see. Split it into two also. Whatever you do, do not go in the hive until after at least 10 days and very briefly if you have to. They killed both of my new queens and I had to add both of them to a hive with a good queen. Good luck. Queen excluders between every box is what I would do again if I had the time to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts