Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my queenless hives I previously posted about was considerably hot while queenless as expected, however, last week and this week I've seen the queen and see eggs and brood in the frames but this hive, despite now being queenright is WAY hotter than any of my other 9 hives. When I open the hive, seems like 20-50 bees come out with a vengeance and start buzzing around my face and bumping my veil. All of my other hives maybe 2-10 bees fly out and just calmly fly around and back in the hive. How long should one wait to requeen?

·
Registered
535 Posts
You won't have a change of bees until all the bees from your old queen has died and been replaced with the new line.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Is there anything going on (like skunks) that is causing the hive to be hot? Wolfer's comment about the bees being from your old queen is right on - it is too soon to know with certainty the temperament of daughters of your new queen.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skunks are very possible, but I have 4 hives close together and the other 3 seem "normal" to me. I'll see how the hive is in a month or so, by then I'm guessing the new brood should be emerged and in sufficient numbers to see how they are.

Thanks.

-Dale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts