Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a Queen breeder but need a Queen, Lost my Queen in a package. I hope this is best forums fo this post. Called and could not get Queen replacement at this time.
I have a strong hive that I can get some new eggs from, no eggs in package. I have read about Queen rearing on this site and Bush Farm.com using the Hopkins method. In my strong hive they are drawing foundation less comb. Could I move the fresh drawn comb to center of brood to encourage the Queen to lay eggs? Don’t know if I can confine Queen. Watch closely to get the right age eggs. Then move frame to my Queen less package and re-orientate as the Hopkins method suggests. Then allow the package workers to draw out the Queen cells.
Will it be a disadvantage to not destroy cells to allow for room between Queen Cells?
Or could I just grab a frame of open brood and orientate it over the Queen less hive and sort out the excess cells after formed? After formed cells should I put the frame in normal?
Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think you're over-thinking this. You need one queen, not 100, right? So look for a frame with eggs in your queen-right hive, and put it in your queen-less hive, normal orientation. The bees will take it from there.

I'd wait about 4 weeks before disturbing them after that. Let them make a queen cell - you don't want to damage any queen cells by manipulating the frames too early - and let her emerge and mate and start laying so she's established before poking around.

:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yup. Just make sure they are eggs, not larvae. That is how the bees have made replacement queens for ages, without our intervention.

Or you could combine the two hives (newspaper or shake out), and then do a split. Might work better, more bees in the new hive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You've gotten good advice here on all the previous post. Get a frame of eggs and put it in the queenless hive; the bees will complete the process for you. The only extra thing I would do is to add a top feeder and feed the package (at least in my area). With the top feeder you don't have to disturb the bees to refill it.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If your strong hive is really "strong", I would consider giving the package more resources from that hive. Asking a bunch of old package bees to make a queen, wait for her to mate and then wait for her eggs to hatch is a bit much in my opinion.

I would consider moving the frame with eggs along with a couple frames of capped brood to help the package. It would be better to have the strong hive make the new queen. It is probably what I would do, but you would have to combine the old queen with your package. I don't know if you want to attempt something like that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wish you were close by i removed a frame to nuc today that had 13 queen cells. :applause:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
B D T
Now that you mention it... I started this package with some frames from my strong hive. Today I moved a frame with eggs in the cells into the package.
For being without a Queen they were very nice and gentle when I went through the whole hive to look for a Queen and eggs. Also they were kind of dragging around on the frames. I my strong hive the workers were all moving around with a purpose. When I filled the feeder for the package they emptied in a few hours. Got to get to Sam's for a 50# bag of sugar soon.
Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts