Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to hear from someone who has used or tried the Hopkins Method . I made a strong single hive queenless and made a rim to fit the top,and then placed a frame of eggs/larvae on top. I have read sometimes a starter hive don't make a good finisher. Any thoughts? I would like to raise about 7 queens.
p.s. This is real strong hive

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I want to try this method this week. How far above the frames did you place the comb? How much room is needed? Did you destroy every third egg?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made my rim about 1 1/2" above the top bars. I tried to punch two and leave one ,but it was so much just hatched larvae i did't have time. If i try again i will use flour to cancel out unwated cells.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have used the Hopkins method to rear queens and it works well. The only thing I dislike about it is having to place the frame horizontally on top of the hive frames. Actually, this is not necessary if you make a little change to the cells before placing the frame for queen cell development. I now use the Hopkins method but I hang the frame vertically in the hive. A little research will reveal the change in the cells needed to get queen cells developed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BeeAware Are you talking about cutting the bottom third of the cell to midrib of the comb as in mdasplitter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts