Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

27 Posts
I have done it once on a very small scale. I don't use foundation, as I am running top bars. I put in a bar with two shortened supports to encourage them to build as per Hopkins. hey usually build this way in my hives in any case, two small combs on each side of the bar, but I wanted to be more certain. They drew the comb as planned, and when the queen had laid in it, I cut it back to the lowest egg cells. I Then moved that frame along with a couple of frames on nurse bees and sealed brood to the other end of the hive with another follower board. They found themselves queenless and drew out emergency cells. I got only 4 cells, two of which were too close to separate. I then did splits and put the cells in 3 splits. Two splits the queens never emerged so I combined them with the one that did. I now have one very strong split. The queen is beautiful and fat. Great brood pattern.

This small experiment was encouraging and I will do it again if I need queens. I could let hives with failing queens rear their own replacements, but this way I have some control over the stock the queens come from.

I have also removed a queen cell from another hive and stapled it to the comb in a queenless hive. That hive is building now.

:doh: Oops. You had asked about the Hopkins method, frame of brood laid on top of the brood nest. What I used was the Miller method.

I looked at Hopkins, but if I'm going to all of that trouble, I'll probably try my hand a grafting.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.