Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my hives are from splits, swarms, trapouts, and cutouts. My nuc from last spring, 1 swarm, the original hives, and the splits seem to fare well.

But the high daytime temp has not gotten to 32 in over 2 weeks and it's not suppose to get any better for at least 3 or 4 more days. Lately the lows and highs have been around 15 and 25. That doesn't include the wind chill factor. I can't remember this many days of extreme cold since I moved to TN over 12 years ago.

Many of these hives I am concerned about are just 1 brood box. A couple I did add newspaper and around 8# sugar. There is no weather perdictions in sight where the temps will be in the upper 50s so that I can check them.

Hopefully whatever makes it through this winter will be stronger for it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not any better here in Atlanta. Have a lot of dead bees in front of my first year hive and on top of my SBB - hopefully not more than what could be expected this time of year. I haven't gone close to the hive in over a week with the temps so low - afraid to disturb them.

Have 8 lbs of dry sugar on top of them and the entrance reduced to minimum. I'm going to reverse first opportunity this late winter and seriously considering adding a package - I'll either be starting over or boosting their numbers.

good luck - we could be trying to survive in Iowa.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry to tease guys but I always love listening to the southern guys talk about how cold it is, 32 in January is a heat wave here. If the hive is ventilated properly they will be fine, temp has been hovering around 0 here at night with wind chills of -20 -30. Just checked on my bee's today and they are inside humming away waiting for spring.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of these hives don't have a large amount of bees and they don't have a lot of stores. But I couldn't tell you how many 5 gallon buckets of sugar wate I have fed to them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, I lived in Mitchell, SD for 2 years (winters) and in Germany for 5 or 6 years. I know about cold and snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts