Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using hooked wire foundation with wedged frames how many nails do you use to secure the wedge to the top bar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Three nails as well, I've also used staples again three both manual and air gun.
I personally have found staples easier to place while holding the frame, wedge, etc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got 10 wedge frames and hook foundation.I want to use it in my brood nest when I get 2 packages friday.Im putting five in each hive hope the wax encourages them to draw.I have nails but may use staples I didnt think of that before.Will the staples pryout easy?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got 10 wedge frames and hook foundation.I want to use it in my brood nest when I get 2 packages friday.Im putting five in each hive hope the wax encourages them to draw.I have nails but may use staples I didnt think of that before.Will the staples pryout easy?
use a 3/8 or little longer staple and you can pry them off to change foundation if needed. I just find a stapler easier to handle than holding little nails and pounding them in.

I have used both nails and staples. either will work.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
A tip for assembly:
Make sure before securing that the angle on the hook is as close to 90 degrees as you can make it. If the angle is off a little, securing the wedge, no matter how firm you hold it, puts the long run of wire in a strain and causes a bow in the foundation.

Walt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts