Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's July in southern Arkansas and we should be in our normal dearth. However, my bees have been on a light flow for several weeks. They are drawing wax and capping honey. I have observed bees working oak trees. Specifically pin oaks, not red oak or white oak, just the pin oaks. These trees are absolutely roaring with bees. Nothing of any significance is blooming, and I'm not near any farming operation. A three mile radius of my location mostly includes hardwood and pine plantations, some cow pasture. I suspect honeydew from aphid excretions. I understand it is unusual for bees to produce a surplus of honeydew in this part of the world. Has anyone experienced this kind of unexpected flow? I should add that both of my yards are flowing and they are about 10 miles apart. The honey has an unusual fruity taste. Tasted OK but not spectacular. It's dark but not black. There's already a few hundred pounds worth between the two yards. If it turns out to be honeydew, is this stuff marketable as such? Or just bottle it and label "wildflower", although that may be technically incorrect. I found very little on this subject when I did a search.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Some places charge a premium. The Ferry Building in SF has a local honey shop and pulls honeydew at $20-$25/lb. It's good in comb if you run foundationless. Advertise it as a great compliment on a cheese plate for parties - as it does go very well with it :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm seeing some of what I call "phantom flows" in a couple of my bee yards this summer. In some cases yards less than two miles away are not experiencing the same increase. I have considered honeydew or some sort of tree sap as a possible source as there are no traditional bloom sources. In any case, the added weight is welcome.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
The few times I got honey dew in my supers was during a strong dearth. In my case the honey was terrible and was only good to feed back to the bees. I found that the taste got much worse with age. When first extracted it didn't taste bad, but in a month or two, was simply awful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts