Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On of my top bar hives died out over the winter and due to some back problems I just got around to cleaning it out. The hive was fairly clean with some dead bees that I suspect were killed by mites. There was some honey and pollen left but no signs of any brood. I didn't see any signs of wax moths. One corner of one bar, where it appears the final bees congregated, was black including the bees on it. It looked like it had been burned. What could have caused this?

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
On of my top bar hives died out over the winter and due to some back problems I just got around to cleaning it out. The hive was fairly clean with some dead bees that I suspect were killed by mites. There was some honey and pollen left but no signs of any brood. I didn't see any signs of wax moths. One corner of one bar, where it appears the final bees congregated, was black including the bees on it. It looked like it had been burned. What could have caused this?
View attachment 62864
Of course they did not burn.
The bees in the center most likely decomposed to such degree that they look "burned".
Notice how the bee on the perimeter look as-if alive.
This is because they are dry; the dead bees in the middle just could not dry out and rather decomposed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course they did not burn.
The bees in the center most likely decomposed to such degree that they look "burned".
Notice how the bee on the perimeter look as-if alive.
This is because they are dry; the dead bees in the middle just could not dry out and rather decomposed.
Thanks. I've never seen that before. I was concerned that someone was going to say that I needed to get kill off of all my bees, burn the hives, and have a priest perform an exorcism over the ground.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Thanks. I've never seen that before. I was concerned that someone was going to say that I needed to get kill off of all my bees, burn the hives, and have a priest perform an exorcism over the ground.
But of course you would not do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts