Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interesting in knowing if it's acceptable to use HoneyBHealthy in plain water. I tried it and they seem to drink it but when I replaced the jar today there was liquid in the wooden holder and several dead bees. When we were feeding sugar water I never noticed excess liquid in the holder or dead bees. Hoping someone can answer so I'll know whether to remove the new jar asap and replace with plain water or if something else is going on. I did make my own lid and maybe the holes were too big and I drowned them although the bottle lasted 3-4 weeks or so. Today I replaced it with a lid from a new holder, hoping if the holes were too big this would solve that problem. I'm more concerned now with whether or not I'm making a mistake mixing honeybhealthy with just water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,826 Posts
By the way, welcome to Beesource.
I am not aware of any legitimate health or calming benefits from the use of HoneyBHealthy. I understand that some people use it as a feeding stimulant i.e. getting bees to consume syrup when they won't otherwise. To be honest, even then, I don't understand its use.
I do believe that using it may attract other neighborhood bees and can result in robbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,130 Posts
Long term routine usage of any chemical is good for no one man or insect. It can keep the organisms gut bacteria constantly imbalanced. If HBH was only lemongrass oil it would be better! If you feel you need a feeding attractant just emulsify LGO in your syrup. The bees certainly don't need it long term in water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, welcome to Beesource.
I am not aware of any legitimate health or calming benefits from the use of HoneyBHealthy. I understand that some people use it as a feeding stimulant i.e. getting bees to consume syrup when they won't otherwise. To be honest, even then, I don't understand its use.
I do believe that using it may attract other neighborhood bees and can result in robbing.
Thank you!

I appreciate the feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long term routine usage of any chemical is good for no one man or insect. It can keep the organisms gut bacteria constantly imbalanced. If HBH was only lemongrass oil it would be better! If you feel you need a feeding attractant just emulsify LGO in your syrup. The bees certainly don't need it long term in water.

Thanks for the feedback. Since we're not using syrup I think I will stop the usage in plain water. I do agree with your first line! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,826 Posts
Since we're not using syrup I think I will stop the usage in plain water.
Just one followup. I've never needed any feeding stimulant for sugar syrup. It's one of those things.....if I don't need it, why use it? Just my personal experience.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
689 Posts
As a feeding attractant. One of many tools each having a proper and beneficial usage.
In every single side by side feeding test I have seen the bees took the plain sugar water much faster than the sugar water poisoned with HBH. Generally ten X faster or some such. It was never even close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just one followup. I've never needed any feeding stimulant for sugar syrup. It's one of those things.....if I don't need it, why use it? Just my personal experience.
Not sure I've clearly articulated my question but believe I did ask if using honeybhealthy in 'plain' water is okay. I wanted to use it for it's self proclaimed calming and health benefits...not as a stimulant. I am not using sugar syrup at all because this is an established hive with no need for it. Again, I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
In every single side by side feeding test I have seen the bees took the plain sugar water much faster than the sugar water poisoned with HBH. Generally ten X faster or some such. It was never even close.
Got any links to share?

I occasionally use HBH as a preservative to delay the sugar syrup fermenting. I've never seen HBH slow down feeding, usually just the opposite.

You do have to be careful because HBH encourages robbing.
 

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
Joined
·
511 Posts
You said that the bottle of water lasted several weeks. At that rate they may not have taken it, the expansion as the temperature changes each day could have emptied the jar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,183 Posts
What do you use it for?
To keep syrup from fermenting or molding.

To get spring nucs (split in early April) to take syrup when the weather is cool and they are reluctant to take it - and frames of honey aren't available.

To reduce stress on a hive by getting them to take feed - such as when you have robbed it of nurse bees or otherwise upset the demographic balance. Especially during cool, wet or unsettled weather.

In the higher concentration (as per the label) it seems to really help a hive that looks a little scrofulous and is failing to thrive. Try it if you don't believe me.

I don't use it on every hive all the time, but it really does seem to do about what it claims to if used judiciously.

I ALWAYS use robbing screens if I am using HBH or anything like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,826 Posts
Try it if you don't believe me.
Problems I haven't experienced. Not claiming that it's a result of my beekeeping skills....just lucky. I do add a ascorbic acid to my sugar syrup to help it keep better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
689 Posts
Got any links to share?

I occasionally use HBH as a preservative to delay the sugar syrup fermenting. I've never seen HBH slow down feeding, usually just the opposite.

You do have to be careful because HBH encourages robbing.
This is personal observation. My neighbor uses it in the sugar water she feeds her hives. They always take it real, real slow. Last fall she had two hives she was feeding and I had a hive I had given her right along side her two hives. All were about equal strength. The only real difference was the one I gave her was headed by a very genetically good queen while her two hives were headed by mutts. But, these days her mutts are getting pretty good as I flood the local area with drones so any of her queens likely have about a 90% chance of mating with my drones. She was feeding hers with sugar water with HBH. I was feeding the hive I gave her straight sugar water. Hers were taking a quart a week. The one I was feeding was taking a quart and a half a day.

You are correct that HBH is poisonous enough to nearly prevent bacterial and fungi growth in sugar syrups. I have never noticed that such growths caused the bees the slightest harm if the feeder is cleaned out and bleached once a month or when it gets to looking really grungy.

Dick
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top