Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that honey is produced from sunlight (photosynthesis), and concentrated by bees, I thought that it would be interesting to compare with roof-top solar:

Last season our single bee colony in suburban Melbourne produced:
  • 70 kg of honey (extracted for human consumption - total production probably ca. 250-300 kg);
  • 891,000 kJ;
  • 2440 kJ per day.
The hive has a foot-print of 0.16 square meters. Prior to extraction the hive (with one super) stored 20 kg of honey, or 255,000 kJ. Cost ca. $500. Value of honey produced ca. $1000, wax ca. $30.

A 6 kW roof top solar system (now the Australian standard) on our roof could produce:
  • 28,908,000 kJ/year
  • 79,200 kJ per day
The system would require 19 solar panels and would have a foot print of ca. 33 square meters. Tesla Power wall 2 could store 48,600 kJ. Cost ca. $7,500 + $9,600. Value of electricity produced ca. $960 (11 c/kWhr feed-in tariff), or ca. $1840 if replacing purchased electricity.

Not exactly comparing apples with apples (chemical vs electrical energy), but interesting...

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
greetings mai field. there was some issue with your authentication and that is why your first attempt at starting the thread failed. i think i have it fixed now. many thanks for contributing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So if you spent the same amount of money on hives, bees etc. as you would in a 6 kW roof top unit how do the results work out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts