Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honeybees and picnics

I have 2 hives 3 weeks old and they drink from my birdbath and fountain in the back yard. We rarely have company over 2-4 people. Next month we are having a large gathering, cookout, the whole nine yards. My hives are in the far corner, no issue but they fly from the water to the hive all the time, so I see them buzzing through the back yard. I am not to worried about someone getting stung in the flight path, but will they be attracted to the food at the picnic table? There is where I am concerned about someone getting stung....

Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Just yesterday we discussed honeybees and sugary sodas and fruit drinks in another thread. They love 'em. And apparently they like caffeine, too.

Yeah, they're picnic crashers. Not nearly so pesky as yellowjackets, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We when we had a group over the other day, I set up a garden sprinkler to mist over the hives for a couple of hours. It seemed to keep most of the girls busy inside until I turned it off. So we had no problem.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Now THERE's an idea. Last year we bought a garden hose accessory with a number of small mister nozzles. I've finished a couple of cycling distance events where they had one of these at the end, and they feel sooooo good when you're hot and tired.

I bought mine to cool off picnic guests, but maybe they'd cool the bees, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts