Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine texted that someone they know had 15 of 15 hives survive the winter after using honeybee microbes. This is the product; SuperDFM. I am fairly skeptical but figured it's worth checking with the forum.

Another interesting article; https://news.utexas.edu/2020/01/30/bacteria-engineered-to-protect-bees-from-pests-and-pathogens/

I fail to see how this would help mite bitten bees as they have major organ damage from the bite and enzymes that break down fat body tissue. Unless of course it keeps the mites from biting or injecting their stuff.

It may help the bees immunity against viruses. Don't know.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
On a slightly different topic, I recently came across an article on HoneybeeSuite that said that a common mould in beehives is Penicillium waksmanii which may be beneficial because it is an antibiotic, and may also help ward off AFB and other bacteria.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got another text from the former sender. The BK in question did use "Mite strips" and OAV treatments for mites. I will have to go meet with them sometime to see what they are doing and gather intel.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
go back about 4 months ago, there was an article about microb's in bees, they specifically tested the above mentioned product and said it contains nothing that the bees need or will help them.
What’s in the Bag?
Nancy Moran looked at the list of bacteria in Super DFM and Pro DFM. “These are not normal bacteria in the bee gut. I don’t think they will colonize, and if they did colonize I think that’s not good. The bees encounter all kinds of bacteria, but the gut biome stays the same. The bees with altered microbiomes are mostly sick. What we want is for the bee to keep normal microbiota.”
“I can see why they [the commercial companies] chose these bacteria. To me these are standard bacteria, easy to grow.
https://www.beeculture.com/probiotics-pro-for-biotic-life/

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
go back about 4 months ago, there was an article about microb's in bees, they specifically tested the above mentioned product and said it contains nothing that the bees need or will help them.

https://www.beeculture.com/probiotics-pro-for-biotic-life/
This is what I was looking for. Thanks, I was suspicious after viewing their website information. Too many sales pitch words and not enough science. Sort of in the same line of false advertising with many probiotic yogurt sellers. (lots of corn syrup).

Not to say that there might someday be found some benefit from certain bacteria added to hives. I'll wait for the science to show evidence. I am aware of some research into fungi compounds that might kill mites and not bees. That would be nice. Meanwhile we are still looking for the silver bullet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts