Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a farm supply superstore today and I saw some " raw unfiltered" honey for sale. The price was 9.99 for 3 lbs. Anyone besides me wonder about the quality of this "honey" ?

·
Registered
2020 8 hives
206 Posts
Here in the midwest we only get $7/pound. In St Louis, maybe $8. Location, location, location.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Honey sells for $8/pound. Lower is suspicious.

I think $15-20/pound is what we should be pushing for.
+1 to $15-20/lb.

However, just generic "honey" label itself lowers the bill, IMO.
Honey should be labeled by the location source and/or the contents - that is honest and useful way to label the honey (and would explain the price differences).
Montana Knapweed honey, for example, is worth more then North Dakota Sweet clover, as for me.

Just "honey" does not cut it - unlabeled mix of whatever.
Might as well be tinted sugar syrup then.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 to $15-20/lb.

However, just generic "honey" label itself lowers the bill, IMO.
Honey should be labeled by the location source and/or the contents - that is honest and useful way to label the honey (and would explain the price differences).
Montana Knapweed honey, for example, is worth more then North Dakota Sweet clover, as for me.

Just "honey" does not cut it - unlabeled mix of whatever.
Might as well be tinted sugar syrup then.
This was from Iowa. I can't prove it but if I were
guessing I would say s lot of syrup. Of course the law allows one to add a lot of syrup and still call it honey. I sell mine for 10.00 a pound and I can't keep it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here in the midwest we only get $7/pound. In St Louis, maybe $8. Location, location, location.
If you live in a rural area where jobs are scarce there is no way someone will pay $8 per pound for honey. Even before Covid-19 hit $7 per pound was the best we could do and even then some people complained. After Covid-19 started it's just made the entire ordeal that much worse. The sad thing is I have 6 or 7 cases of quarts setting here right now I can't get $6 per pound for not to mention the 15 gallons I have setting in food grade buckets. We have our normal customers who buy from us every year but they only need so much. Like Jim said ...Location. Location, Location

1 - 9 of 9 Posts