Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a long time coming. I am going into my 4th year, and finally got to get some honey. Last fall, I pulled about 40 pounds and put into the freezer for emergency feed for my bees. I successfully over wintered that hive. I added 2 more this year, as well a caught a swarm. 2 weeks ago, I had a lot of frames of uncapped nectar. I called my mentor, and he came and inspected Friday evening. I pulled 8 frames, to keep the hives from getting honey bound. I was pleasantly surprised.

39+ pounds.
7-26-20 honey.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice! That's more than I got my first year of honey, congratz. Now that you have tasted your own honey, there is not going back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's awesome! Congrats!!

I am in a similar boat. I'm in my third year. I didn't get anything my first year. Last year I pulled just a few of frames to get some honey for myself. We had a good flow here in NJ this Spring, and last week I extracted over 80 pounds! I executed my first successful split this Spring too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, after some waiting, I pulled a few more frames and that will be it for the year. Ended with 50# total for this year, and I'm tickled pink with that.

honey frame 9-11-20.jpg
the help
the help.jpg
the money shot
honey pour 9-11-20.jpg
The end result
honey 9-11-20.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have a question, Can I put the frames back on the strongest hive to have them clean it up? I have my entrances reduced right now, but I don't want to have any robbing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Congratulations. Yes, put them above the inner cover. J
Inner cover? I didn't know that, I've been putting the extracted supers UNDER the inner cover. In fact, I've been putting them under the other supers just above the (double) deep brood boxes. I thought that it would be better way to get them back into production. I just did an inspection and the girls are starting to fill the extracted ones out.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
LarryBud - Depends on where you want it to go. I am trying to force it down now. Last step is to place frames below the QE, into the brood chamber. Then I feed to weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts