Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would it be unrealistic to expect a new hive to yield 50#s of honey it's first year? Each hive received about 3# of bees, a new mated queen and where released in boxes with good drawn out frames. Bees and queen introduced to hive the first week of May and the main honey flow does not normally begin until the 1st week of July (Minnesota.)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Are you wanting to know how much they make or how much you can take?
Either way it seems it depends on the weather, the bees and bee management.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just want to know if it is realistic or even possible to expect first year hives to make 50#s of honey on average. The information is needed to create a business model. Are there other northern beekeepers who do not winter bees and purchase new bees every year?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a lot of factors that go into how much honey you get from a hive, including a healthy dose of chance. Assuming you are talking about a new hive (since you stated packages) with just foundation (no drawn comb), I would say it would be very difficult to get 50 pounds of honey in the first year. The bees will spend most of their first year drawing out comb. Now if you rob everything they have and leave them nothing for winter, you might get 50 pounds, but you would be starting over again next year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Redhead1 for the reply. I did mention in my first post that I was using drawn comb. And yes my plan is to start over every year.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Are there other northern beekeepers who do not winter bees and purchase new bees every year?

Back when packages were $20 there were a lot. Back when packages were $50 there were some. Now that packages are over $100, there are not many...

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I know of a package in our area last year that made over 100lbs. surplus. But many from the same batch probably made none.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts