Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
I have been involved in sampling honey from various beekeeping operations in
plant hardiness zone 6b, 6a and 5b. This would include central PA, and SW New York.
A good deal of the honey has a minty taste, that I had not had the pleasure of enjoying beefore.
With the wide range of where the girls are finding this sweet nectar, I do not beelieve that it
could correlate with farming, instead I am thinking of a wild species, yet I am unsure. Two
possibilities that I've pondered are Horsemint or Sweet Fennel.
Any ideas? Thank You for reading this.
I'm still Livin' & Learnin'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Essential oils are not in this equation. The nectar was gathered mostly in July and in copious amounts, leading me to beelieve that it must bee a very significant honey flow. The honey was gathered by numerous beekeepers in many yards and the taste is quite nice. I had never run into this distinct flavor. I am going to keep diggin', yet I do beelieve that you are pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps, yet all of the basswood/ linden honey that I have had in the past did not strike me with this nice balance of mint overtones. Could bee that the linden along with......truly enhance the flavor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I found it in my hives by accident last spring while pulling frames of honey making up nucs. Like Graperunner suggests, I was told it was from basswood / linden trees. It has a minty, almost medicinal flavor.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I've noticed anise blue hyssop seems to add a minty taste in the summer. Bees love the plant.

·
Registered
192 Posts
HI-basswood/Linden-one of our favorites-they don't produce it every year due to weather. Last summer was a great year in most NY/PA locations.
Nick

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I got a little minty honey from a hive in northern NY last summer. Nice to discover it was basswood; it was a new flavor to me. I hadn't realized there was a lot of basswood in that area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking like most votes are favoring Basswood, giving me a new opinion of Basswood honey, having not been a big fan of any Basswood Honey that I had sampled in the past. I still like to entertain the idea that perhaps there is some Horsemint, other mint, catnip or hyssop in the mix. Whatever it is, I'm certainly enjoying this Honey...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts