Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I refilled our honey bear this evening. There was probably an inch of honey still in the bottom. An hour after I filled it up, I looked at the bear and
"what the heck?" The top half of the honey in the bear looks white as if it's full of air bubbles. I've never seen this. Any ideas as to what this is? The honey tastes fine as far as I can tell.

Here's a photo of the jar that it came from next to the bear. You can see the honey is relatively dark. Meanwhile the honey bear looks white-ish.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm thinking tiny air bubbles/foam. The white appears at all the surfaces that would impead or collect upward progress. Wax and or foam would want to do this. If the bear is feeling pressurized you've got bacterial/yeast growth (moistures content too high), otherwise, warm it up and the bubbles should disipate.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are definitely bubbles. Ok...so why would the glass jar not look like this but the bear look like this? Does that mean that the honey that was in the bear previous had a high moisture content? And once the new honey was added, it diluted the new honey? The honey in the glass jar is totally fine. Once it was added to the bear, within an hour it looked like this.
I'm baffled. Have never seen this before...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm not sure as to what caused the bubbles. I've had them form when filling something from the bottom of a bucket. I poured in the fine bubbles that were on the top of the honey in the bucket. Once warmed it took a couple days to clear then it was fine. For the bubbles to form on their own I'd say there is yeast creating it. However, if there's no "bread" smell and the container isn't becoming pressurized I'm at a loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts