Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was doing some research when I ran across this article regarding cell phones and honeybees: Something to think about...

The buzz from cell phones leads to a reduction in colony size?

In recent years, wildlife biologists have observed drastic drops in honey bee populations. God created honey bees with a tiny store of magnetite—a natural internal magnet—that they apparently use for navigation. A recent study at Panjab University in India, and published in Current Science, discovered that the radiation given off by cell phones negatively impacts honey bee reproduction.

Earlier this month, alarm bells sounded in the United States at a phenomenon considered as dire as climate change: the disappearing honeybee.

If the trend continues, it may spell the doom for agriculture — 80 per cent of which depends upon this humble pollinator — not to mention the environment, scientists have warned.

Amid theories about the possible reasons for the ‘bee colony collapse disorder' (including pesticides, disease, climate change and genetically modified crops), comes a new study that points to another culprit: the ubiquitous cell phone.

Electromagnetic frequency emitted by cell phones reduces bees' colony size and the number of eggs laid by the queen bee and changes their behaviour, says a research paper published in the latest issue of Current Science. The authors are Ved Parkash Sharma and Neelima R. Kumar of the Departments of Environment and Vocational Studies and Zoology at Panjab University, Chandigarh.

The magnetite (a natural magnet) in their bodies that helps bees navigate is sensitive to “electro-smog” that cell phones emit into the atmosphere, the paper says. For their experiment, the scientists selected honeybee colonies at the university's apiary. They exposed one set of colonies to functioning cell phones of a 900 MHz frequency band, for 15 minutes twice a day. They left the other free of the radiation.

The results were unambiguous. In the colony exposed to cell phone radiation, the brood-size (comprising eggs and larvae) was just 760.19 cm2, compared with 1975.44 cm2 in the colony free of radiation. The queen bee exposed to radiation produced far fewer eggs a day (145) than its undisturbed counterpart (376).

And while there was no immediate exodus of bees as a result of cell phone interference, the number of pollen foragers (worker bees with pollen loads) returning to the hive declined. Consequently, the ‘pollen stores' (the portion of the comb containing cells filled with stored pollen) decreased in size from 246.7 cm2 to 154.7 cm2; and there was a dip in the number of cells containing ripe and unripe nectar.

“At the end of the experiment, there were neither honey, nor pollen nor brood and bees in the colony, resulting in the complete loss of the colony,” the paper says. Not too long ago, cell phone radiation was attributed to the inexplicable disappearance of another diminutive creature from Indian cities, the house sparrow.

Up to 80% of fruit and vegetable crops rely on bee pollination in order to produce fruit. God carefully created a balance, that when properly and respectfully maintained, will result in abundance (Deuteronomy 28:4-6).

God, be merciful...

Faith Jaudon

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
This very same thing happened to me. I was using my handsfree device in the van while out delivering honey and I got completely lost. I pulled into a parking lot and when I went inside to get a drink I took off the device. I went inside and got my drink and when I returned to the van I remembered where I was and was okay. Scared the you know what out of me. So much for hands free and cell phones. Guess I'll have to go back to taking calls only when home.

Faith,
don't believe everything you read. Question. Be skeptical.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Mark, thats funny :lpf:. thanks for the laugh. And good advice too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Yer welcome Faith and peace. But I am surprised that you don't believe me? :)

Raith, there was a study done at a college in Germany that included in it a question of whether cell phones, cell phones mind you, had any ill effects on bee hives. They actually stuck a cell phone base (that's what I heard, but I wonder if it wasn't a PORTABLE phone base) anyway, they stuck it inside a bee hive to see what the effects were.

If one didn't read the whole study, which is what folks often do, yawn, I don't know why, but you would think that cell phones were bad for bee hives. But that is not what the conclusion of the study found.

I don't read the studys that are printed in ABJ. I just read the conclusion. I'm a lazy reader and easily get.......... , yawn,....snore.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
For those interested, here is a link to the article in Current Science:
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/25may2010/1376.pdf

They seem to have shown that having TWO cell phones, physically-present in the hive, creating an EMR field within the broodnest, is disruptive.

Their conclusion:
"The present study therefore suggests that colony collapse does occur as a result of exposure to cellphone radiations. Reports of such a colony collapse in nature in developing countries like India where electromagnetic radiation (EMR) based technologies are comparatively new are absent."

So, India doesn't have CCD because it's a "developing" country, where EMR is "comparatively new"?! Hogwash. A few quick searches shows that India is 2nd in the world in number of cell phones. India has over 100 million MORE cell phones than the U.S. and is only about 1/3 the size, so it would seem that the control hives used in this study were exposed to a higher concentration of EMR than a typical colony in the U.S.

Dubious scholarship.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I guess if you put two cell phones in the brood nest, it would "interupt things." Amazing grasp of the obvious. But,,,:D I was talking on my cell phone and I got a call on my work phone, needless to say,,, the EMR between the ears caused me to piss my pants and forget who I was,,,,,but I still knew where I was:eek::D
Rick

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They seem to have shown that having TWO cell phones, physically-present in the hive, creating an EMR field within the broodnest, is disruptive.

Their conclusion:
"The present study therefore suggests that colony collapse does occur as a result of exposure to cellphone radiations. Reports of such a colony collapse in nature in developing countries like India where electromagnetic radiation (EMR) based technologies are comparatively new are absent."

...India is 2nd in the world in number of cell phones ... over 100 million MORE cell phones than the U.S. and is only about 1/3 the size, so it would seem that the control hives used in this study were exposed to a higher concentration of EMR than a typical colony in the U.S...

Or the hives had some other problem they did not understand that caused what they refer to as CCD. I think this shows the basic flawes in "science" and "scientific studies". Maybe they were exposed to high levels of EMR -or- maybe the problems they observed had absolutely nothing to do with their exposure to EMR to begin with.

Not unusual that these "scientific" studies are done to prove what is desired in the first place.

Faith the only part there that is concrete is the part about God created a balance - but obedience was the major part of that balance. When that is gone the balance can't be restored until that part is put back. Kind of like eating organic - you can do it all day but unless you stop drinking the arsenic, your going to die anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hey,,,,if my humor (or attempts at)was out of line, I'm sorry.
Back on topic
I've been away from beekeeping for a long time, but I was taught bees navigated by polarized light, hence the waggle dance:scratch: Guess I'll read the study to see where the EMR comes in.
rick

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Faith,
All kinds of things effect honeybees and can possibly harm them.
It certainly made sense to investigate the possibility of cell phones and communication waves being a cause of bee disappearance- after all, they are still running studies that continue to contradict each other as to whether cell phones increase brain cancer in humans, and we know that underwater sonar is harmful to whales.
But the connection between bee colony collapse syndrome and cell phones was I believe studied and put to rest a few years ago already. If you do some more research, you may come across those studies and results. I remember reading about it quite a while back, before I was into bees. It would have been a tidy solution to the mystery of bee colony collapse, but it seems that as a prime suspect, cells phones are 'off the hook'. (sorry for the pun)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
sqkcrk,

Thank goodness you didn't have to ask for directions! Can you imagine the panic? :lpf::lpf::lpf:
"Why is ever body always pickin' on me." some song from the sixties.

Fran, you have inspired me to put another sign on my Ford Transit connect.
"Honey, I shrank the Sprinter."
Sprinters are made for Dodge. They look sorta like a Trans. con. on steroids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts