Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used a reptile egg incubator, for warming plastic honey bottles to decrystallize.
They have fans for air circulation and temperature settings.
Kitchen appliance Product Food Cuisine Home appliance

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I've never had luck liquefying crystalized honey that was in plastic bottles. The plastic distorts. The best I've done was setting in a hot car facing the sun. Maybe I was not careful enough? and your idea would work better than the attempts I've had.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never had luck liquefying crystalized honey that was in plastic bottles. The plastic distorts. The best I've done was setting in a hot car facing the sun. Maybe I was not careful enough? and your idea would work better than the attempts I've had.
Me either, that's one reason I thought I would put this out there. Second because of the pandemic I have had problems with getting glass last year.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
I use a sous vide.

Place your bottles in a 5 gallon bucket with water and set it to 109. You'll have perfectly clear honey overnight and I've never had an issue with plastic bottles. I even use it in a cooler with a 5 gallon bucket of honey in it. Makes bottling a breeze when it's warm!

They are also much cheaper thank what you're suggesting.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just did 10 2oz bears and several larger plastic bottles yesterday.
I use one of the large roster pans. Place all containers in and then add water until just before they start floating.
I set the heat around 200 as it is an open air bath. I do put the lid on for about 5 minutes to help it warm up faster then remove it.
It took about 4 hrs.
I bought a 5 gallon bucket from a friend and the moisture was good but every bottle I filled from that bucket has crystallized. I am going to feed it to the bees come spring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a sous vide.

Place your bottles in a 5 gallon bucket with water and set it to 109. You'll have perfectly clear honey overnight and I've never had an issue with plastic bottles. I even use it in a cooler with a 5 gallon bucket of honey in it. Makes bottling a breeze when it's warm!

Maybe a picture would help, because I can't find anything that would make sense from the French translation, like Gary.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did 10 2oz bears and several larger plastic bottles yesterday.
I use one of the large roster pans. Place all containers in and then add water until just before they start floating.
I set the heat around 200 as it is an open air bath. I do put the lid on for about 5 minutes to help it warm up faster then remove it.
It took about 4 hrs.
I bought a 5 gallon bucket from a friend and the moisture was good but every bottle I filled from that bucket has crystallized. I am going to feed it to the bees come spring.
I've always found that the bears bulge on the bottom and won't stand up for me, but I was using a double boiler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a sous vide.

I found this product and they cost around the same. But it sounds like it would definitely work.
How long have you been using this system for maintaining the the water temperature if I may ask. It looks like an aquarium water heater for cooking. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, I use one. It works fine. They use a thermoelectric peltier module to heat and cool so it takes a long time to get up to temperature. I also use it for incubating queen cells.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Guys I use a medium box with a 100 watt bulb if you can find one perhaps for rough service. the bulb is fitted in a holder to the center of one side and it sits on a telescoping lid. A metal Mann Lake queen excluder goes on top and then an 8 frame deep box on top of that. I can fit in at least 24 1lb jars on the queen excluder and then cover with another telescoping lid. The temperature gets up to 110F and the honey is clear in a couple of days. I have temperture controlled the setup but if you do you will need a controller with an SSR to switch as a relay would soon wear out. However the 100 watt lamp is sort of maxed out at 110 F. If you have drums to warm up the drum goes in with 2 deeps with the lid on top.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I use one. It works fine. They use a thermoelectric peltier module to heat and cool so it takes a long time to get up to temperature. I also use it for incubating queen cells.
That's what I like is the ability to use it for multiple purposes. May I ask what brand and size you are using?

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I use a sous vide.

Is there some little blade to circulate the hot water to avoid hot spots or is that neccessary?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys I use a medium box with a 100 watt bulb if you can find one perhaps for rough service. the bulb is fitted in a holder to the center of one side and it sits on a telescoping lid. A metal Mann Lake queen excluder goes on top and then an 8 frame deep box on top of that. I can fit in at least 24 1lb jars on the queen excluder and then cover with another telescoping lid. The temperature gets up to 110F and the honey is clear in a couple of days. I have temperture controlled the setup but if you do you will need a controller with an SSR to switch as a relay would soon wear out. However the 100 watt lamp is sort of maxed out at 110 F. If you have drums to warm up the drum goes in with 2 deeps with the lid on top.
Now that sounds pretty pretty cheap, and effective.
So you don't like tape around the two boxes where the queen excluder is located? You don't find the need for installation around the boxes either?

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Now that sounds pretty pretty cheap, and effective.
So you don't like tape around the two boxes where the queen excluder is located? You don't find the need for installation around the boxes either?
Actually, I do have some good duct tape around the joint where the queen excluder is and I also have some 3/4" polystyrene that fits under the top telescoping lid, I use these polystyrene pieces under my hive lids in the winter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's what I like is the ability to use it for multiple purposes. May I ask what brand and size you are using?
I bought it off Vevor website. It is 25 liters. It is the same model as the Reptipro 6000 that was being sold on Amazon and even comes with the Reptipro 6000 manual, but does not have the Reptipro label on it and cost $143 from Vevor.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts