Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about everybodys view in feeding the bees with natural honey versus feeding the bees with alternative sources, Sugar syrup, pollen substitute. etc. Last year being my first year. I took the advice of my fellow bee club members. Most all of them use sugar syrup or something comparable.
In my preperation for 2010 I was thinking a switching to honey for feeding. I know the cost will go up. But i was thinking this would be more natural for them. With a substitute i was wondering if how they process it or what they add is good for the bees. Can they truly process it through themselves? Or do they have to evolve to process it? Is that good?Further if you have just used honey to feed your bees. Have you had a better success rate of keeping your bees healthy?

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you are feeding your own honey fine.
If you are feeding someone else's honey, BIG no-no, this is one of the basic lessons you should have learned early on.

Most all basic beekeeping books, teach this.

PCM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya know, I vaguely remember reading something about using bees own honey to feed them with. But I never gave it another thought. Looking back in the books i bought about beekeeping, i haven't found that section about not using another hives honey to feed. Could you explain what can happen, is a disease spreading factor? Thanks.....sorry for not knowing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts