Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I overmedicated last fall and killed off hives full of honey. I have put 2 frames with lots of honey in the bottom 2 brood supers thinking focus would be on drawing out comb and gathering. Should I still feed? Should I not put in the honey and just feed them? Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Honey - What medication did you use, and how much?

Colony - Is the "new" colony from a nuc or package? If so, when was it installed? Are they growing?

Hive - Is there drawn comb in the boxes, or just foundation/foundationless frames?

Environment - Is there forage for them right now where you live? How much, what type?

Without more information, it is hard to answer. With the information given, and assuming a new nuc install with foundation, I would be feeding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a nuc and drawn comb. Had tons of dandelions and now berry bushesand various wild flowers all in flower...Bees are coming back with pollen galore have put grease patties in the hive as my exterior feed bottles seem to be getting robbed by a raccoon I believe. Hives are full of brood. Seem healthy I was helping with 2 full frames of honey vs 2 frames for queen to lay in.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't quite follow your setup. How many boxes, and what size? Are they full of bees?

If you are saying that you have 2 brood boxes (8-10 frame, deep) and two frames of honey, I would be feeding until I know for sure they are bringing in nectar.

I see no value in the grease patty, perhaps someone else can speak to that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts