Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird question time. 2nd year beek who got 50 lbs honey in May that to my taste, was overly sugary sweet. However, I went ahead and extracted and bottled it. Just took off another 50 lbs, and to my taste, this was sweet with a very sour undertone that lingers in the mouth. Neither one of these honeys are to my personal taste, so I'm thinking of un-bottling some of my earlier spring honey and doing a blend.

But my question really is: do any beeks out there sell honey that they personally don't like? I should add I'm in suburbia, so my honey comes from a mishmash of sources.

Just wondering how to sell 100lbs of honey I don't really care for...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I personally don't like sweets including honey. Ive sold out of honey every year I've had it. I do taste it but it's way too sweet for my liking. I usually pull honey before the goldenrod and rabbit bush bloom as I don't want to deal with selling that stinky honey. Seems the bees don't mind the smell or taste of it lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
It seems to me that everyone has a different preference.

Clover honey to me has a faint hay taste. Meaning when I taste it I'm reminded of walking into a barn the next day after putting up hay. Some say it has a floral taste. Some say it taste like honey.
This year I got a little black honey that to me had a grape or blackberry flavor. A friend said it tasted lemony. My granddaughter said cinnamon. No one can agree on what it tastes like.

I've gotten honey that left a bitter aftertaste but after blending it was fine.
I would be fine with selling it but I probaly would have some to sample before they bought.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We in IN are finding most of our early honey this year is very light and sweet. A lot of locust, baswood and sweet clover. I've let people taste it and it runs about 50/50 whether they prefer the light stuff to the normal wildflower mix we usually have. I am hoping for a little darker honey when I pull at the end of August. I am using some of the light honey to make creamed honeys. Add a little cinnamon to it and it tastes great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts