Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have placed queen excluder over my brood chamber and now I wonder if the bees will make their way up when collecting honey?

Maybe I should move some capped brood frames up top over the excluder?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If it is drawn comb in the super, no problem, with undrawn foundation a frame or two of brood above the exclude will get them moving. Open brood would be better than capped. Check for queen cells before you put the frames back down.

Easy if you have same size brood and supers, if not you have to get a bit creative.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do the frames in the top super or box have comb or foundation? I am doing the same thing and not using any brood in the top super. I have placed an Emrie shim above the excluder. The bees will not move up until the bottom brood box is covered by about 80%. Our coll rainy weather is causing everything to slow down substantially or at least that has been my experience here.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Two medium supers of foundation with one rank on both in the middle empty for a frame of eggs and larvae will get the bees working in your supers above the excluder. Jiggle shake the bees off first to prevent moving the queen above the excluder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts