Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I just started my hive in late May,(package bees) my question is when can I put my honey supers on? or do I? the hive was given to me by a friend. All the boxes are shallows..Queen is doing good, have about 3-4 frames full of caped brood and about the same with honey..

any suggestions???

·
Super Moderator
11,067 Posts
Generally, put on an additional box when the lower box is 75%-80% full. In a 10 frame hive, that would be about 8 frames.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a newbie, too, but I have a question for you. Do you think using all shallows will give you enough comb for the bees to store enough to get through winter? The man who taught the class I took (he's been doing it for 30 yrs) suggests using a deep for the brood box, & mediums for the rest. That way there's plenty of space for a good, strong colony to build up stores. I'm located in the NC foothills west of Charlotte, so you probably have a bit longer winters than we do.

·
Super Moderator
11,067 Posts
Technically, the term 'super' is a reference to the boxes above the brood nest, not the boxes that comprise the brood nest. From the Beesource Glossary ...

Super: A wooden box with frames containing foundation or drawn comb in which honey is to be produced. Named for its position above the brood nest. The same type of box is referred to as a hive body when it is situated below the honey supers and is intended to be used for brood rearing and pollen storage.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?237911-Beekeeping-Glossary
I use mediums for ALL boxes, including the brood nest. The disadvantage is that it takes more mediums for a given brood area volume than if one used deeps, but on the flip side there is only one size box/frame to inventory, and I can move frames around however I want.

·
Registered
374 Posts
that's my issue, the hive was given to me. The guy told me it would be fine. I am so new at this, i had to take his word for it.
I'm not sure when the flows are in your area, but you can always get a deep and put in on top then switch after it is drawn out, or just put it on the bottom. I'm still pretty new at this too but I did this with a swarm that unintentionally moved into some shallows I had sitting out. It worked out ok.

David

·
Registered
623 Posts
First year from a package ? I would worry only about them building up the colony a and stores for the winter this year. Leave all the honey in the hive. U can always pull whatever surplus is left after the first spring flow next year. Just get the new colony through the winter....main objective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with tommysnare. Just want to do the best I can by the little guys. I am thankful for everyones input. Just wasn't to sure about the set-up..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts