Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2 deep boxes which are full and I am ready to place my shallow supers on. Is it ok to just put 2 shallow supers on and leave it for a while and let the bees do their thing? Or is that too much room for them? I also have also heard of people drilling some 3/4 inch holes in the honey supers to give them other access to the hive. Does anyone have any opinions on doing this?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In the summer, unless you have SHB, I don't think that they can have too much room. Sometimes I will just put three supers on in the spring.

I have a couple of supers with holes drilled in them. I guess they work for some people, but for me they just post guard bees there and then use the bottom entrance. I guess they don't hurt anything, but they don't seem to do much for me.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on doing this?
:lpf: We are beekeepers after all!!:D

Back in the day we would put 2 and 3 supers on at a time and let them do their thing, now with SHB there seems to be some trepidation concerning this practice....For me, if it were an out yard...I would throw 2 on without hesitation. As far as the holes, I have run gear both ways, I like the holes myself but have yet to drill any in my new stuff.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Small Hive Beetle

and don't drill holes around the handholds. :no:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I installed three 3/8" shims in-between the queen excluder on the top brood box and the bottom of the first super. This provides a full width mid height entrance.It took my bees a couple of weeks to figure it out. I reduced the bottom entrance to the smallest opening. This created a large traffic jam and helped the foragers find the mid entrance. Once the mid entrance was getting regular use I removed the reducer from the bottom entrance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts