Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all just installed my first 10 frame honey super on my langstroth hive today, both deep brood boxes are packed with brood,honey and pollen. But the question is Seeings how my honey supers are just wax coated foundation with nothing drawn out for comb, how well and how fast will they start drawing out the foundation and it will they need help doing so.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Is this an overwintered hive? I assume you don't have any drawn frames for your super.

If the bees are busy and you are on a flow, they will draw out the comb fairly quickly in the first super. Some sugar water sprayed on the comb will probably get them up there to check it out, but I'd not spray it unless they don't start to work.

The second super of foundation is more likely to give you trouble, as they won't be in the middle of a big flow when it's time to add more space for them, and they will be less interested in drawing it out. What I would do then is put the new super under the first one, above the brood nest, and take a frame or two of capped honey from the first super and put them in the new box with a frame of foundation between them. This will get the bees working the new box, and they will draw out the frames of foundation in the top box if you still have a decent flow.

If you can find a frame or two of drawn comb to put in that first super it will speed things up greatly.

Peter

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
They will jump on that first super then. Should have put it on a month ago, actually -- I have three or four frames in each of two supers already filled and partially capped.

As I said, the second and third supers are harder to get them interested in unless you happen to be in the middle of bee heaven -- couple hundred acres of sweet clover or alfalfa grown for seed. Around here the flow slows down quite a bit after tulip poplar blooms and it takes quite a while to get them to work foundation.

Peter

·
Registered
310 Posts
>how well and how fast will they start drawing out the foundation and it will they need help doing so.
It may take them a while to start the process if they dont have a bait frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts