Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 10 frame deep brood boxes and 1 honey super on top with a Queen excluder between the brood and the super. My question is should I have 9 frames or 10 frames in the super? I am thinking this is a matter of opinion and what works for one more than the other just like queen excluders. I have read pro's and cons of both methods and would like some opinions. I am a second year bee keeper and my bees are doing fantastic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use 9 frames in super but I always start with 9 frames of drawn comb. I wouldn't start with 9 frames of foundation. Americas beekeeper is right. If you start with 10 you can change to 9 after frames are drawn out, I think I get more honey from 9 and its easier to uncap.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Nothing wrong with 10 frames in the super, nothing wrong with 9 frames either. I know a commercial fellow who uses 8 frames and just deals with the bur comb in the honey house. Big fat frames of honey is what our objective is for commercial operations mainly to make the honey equipment run through our machinery better. Try 10 and you will see why we like to have a bit of space in our supers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I check today and they had 8 out of the 10 frames pretty much done and more than half full of honey but not capped. Only one frame was ready but nothing in it. I added another super on top that that is two brood boxes and now two supers. Thanks for the input. It all helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts