Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On black plastic brood frames that wax moths got I just scrapped them with my hive tool and put them back on the hive with success however I am not sure with the white honey super plastic frames. I have a few used boxes of frames that got dirty from sitting around (dust & dirt stuck to the wax) and I don't know what to do. I can scrape them off the same way and apply a fresh coat of wax just like I did to the broad frames & I'm sure the bees will build back up on them. The question is will I end up with dirt in the wax since bees will build on top of it or will they fully clean it up? I don't want dirt in my honey down the road. There is no way I am going to get them looking new without going through extreme measures. I would just throw them out and buy wood frames for the honey supers where I can replace the wax foundation. That would be far faster then cleaning these things. Please help.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Bees are real clean freaks and will take care of it for you. Just put the equipment on and let them. Possibly spray with dilute sugar syrup to get them working on the frames if they are old and dried out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bees are real clean freaks and will take care of it for you. Just put the equipment on and let them. Possibly spray with dilute sugar syrup to get them working on the frames if they are old and dried out.
So pressure washing and all of that is just overkill. Just give them a quick scrape and spray of syrup and call it a day? Can I give them a brush of melted wax and not worry about locking dirt in since I'm afraid there might be parts of the frame without wax coverage?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts