Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:
I run double deep brood chambers (9 3/4)-queen excluders-honey supers (6 3/4) most have 2 honey supers on them now.
Many of my hives are getting honey bound and I have to add undrawn honey supers. Should I just throw them on top of my almost full honey supers as is or should I remove the queen excluders and bottom super the honey supers?
I know that bees are loathe to go through an excluder to undrawn foundation. There are upper entrances in the inner covers so some bees can bypass the excluder if they chose to.
If I bottom super with no excluder I am running the risk of queens moving up and laying in the new drawn comb. Because I run different size gear it is not so easy to move frames up and down.

Perry

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Pull the queen excluders, if you have a super full of honey then that acts as a queen barrier. Take your undrawn super and using the top filled super pull every other one replacing an undrawn frame in those spots. Place the drawn ones in your now third super, staggering every other one. They will start to work to draw out the frames in both supers starting with the second and moving to the third.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I have two supers on and I am adding a 3rd I atleast put it between the two full supers. But most of the time I put the new ones right on top of the hive bodies and put a filled and capped frame at both ends of the new super and the two emty frames from the new super go in the middle of the capped super above the new one.

Seems to drive them nuts to have empty frames in between full frames so they seem to draw them right away.
I found just putting them on top they seem to get honeybound quicker in the hive body like they just dont like to travel up that far full of nectar so if there is a hole empty in the top of the hive body the store it there.

Just my newbeek experience so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts