Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my two hives filled 2 deeps each and started to build comb on the top and bottom of inner cover. So on one hive I added a 6" honey super (honey for me)and on the other I added a deep to get drawn foundation for next year. Both with new undrawn foundation. I put queen excluders on both.
I just propped the front of supers up with sticks for an upper entrance as I have read pro's and con's about drawing foundation above queen excluder. This leaves a 1/4" gap all the way around the super except at the back.

My question is, will this cause problems and what kinds of problems?
thanks,

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i use top and bottom full width entrances on all my hives and find the combination works well.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, when you say full width entrance at the top is it just in the front of the hive or on three sides as mine is with sticks in front propping up the honey super? Would it be better to just have a entrance just at the front of the hive. If so I could just lay 1/4" stock on sides and back of queen excluder and have just a front entrance.
Just Info. It was just a matter of minutes after adding honey super that hundreds of bees moved up thru queen excluder to the undrawn foundation. They were definately looking for somewhere to build comb. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Pull the excluder until they start to draw the foundation then make sure the queen is below and put the excluder back in place. Your entrance will work fine as long as there is a flow going on. watch for robbing when the flow stops.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...is it just in the front of the hive ..."
yep. i used 3/8 ths stock on three sides of a plywood cover.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beeslave, I understand now, that you are you saying that I wont have queen activity in supers until the comb is drawn to a certain state and that makes sense. Thats why you say you can leave off the excluder until they start to draw comb. At what point do you think I need to put the queen excluder back on? When 1-3 frames have area's on those frames that seem to be fully drawn? These hives have 2 fully drawn deeps below so I imagine these queens will move up if given the chance. I am new BK this year and haven't found either queen when I went looking. SO many bees! I don't want eggs or larve in my honey, thats what I am afraid of. Not to mention as you DID that I may trap queen above excluder! My disaster waiting to happen?

Thanks, Mike and Beeslave

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I think that you can add the excluder back any time that they are drawing comb. I put an excluder back on a hive last night that had the center portion of one frame drawn with some nectar in the cells. This was about 3 days after putting the super of foundation on the hive.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As soon as they have some foundation drawn and are storing nectar in the new cells you could put the excluder back on. That should be enough to keep them working the foundation. If they stop working the foundation I would take the excluder back off. I personally would wait until they have half the frames being worked before I placed the excluder on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked honey supers and found that the bees may have moved up immediately into honey supers but they did not stay. They were all below queen excluder and putting propalis in all the holes of the excluder. I took off the excluder. Thanks to all for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts