Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my hives had two hive bodies of HSC in it. I now know why people cut and remount the hsc in wooden frames, what a mess! It's quite a sight watching the pupal juice squirt out from the hive tool as one scrapes off the comb... :eek:

I guess I'll be running them through the saw again some day...

Does anyone have an alternative solution to the problem?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Wooden frames and wax foundation, or starter strips. Trying to get to something natural(size) by putting a lump of synthetic material, made from petrolium, in the hive.... may not be well thought out. :)

dickm

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very pleased with all of my other lumps of synthetic material, made from petrolium ( PF-120's ). :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmmm? Very interesting. I just installed 7 hives with HSC, and have never had any problems with comb mess. I love the product, and also agree that the PF-120's are a fantastic choice.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I found that my bees always weld the two hive bodies of HSC together with the Burr comb. Since I was using the HSC to do initial regression, I rotate the HSC out of the hive as fast as possible. I then have used HSC that is easily accepted by new colonies and regressed colonies back on natural wax foundation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts