Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure how to title this question.
2 weeks ago I was able to add a honey super to my 2 deeps. I knew comb building would decrease due to stopping the feeding, but it is almost nothing. Less than 1/2 frame is built out. Several questions.
1. Are they now eating up their stores below because I'm not feeding?
2. How can you tell if they are not getting enough forage if I'm a newbee and still learning about "dearths"?
3. At what point do they stop storing for brood and start storing for winter? I'm worried they will eat up all their stores and I will be setting them back.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am also new to this but I believe that once there is a flow on the bees will stop taking the sugar syrup you were providing. If they were still taking it when you added your super then there might not have been a strong enough flow for them. I can tell you from experience, if you feed with your supers on they will store in them if a strong flow isn't on.

If you are concerned you can continue to feed, however check your supers quite often to make sure they are not storing. Personally, I wouldn't feed with my supers on.

Somebody in your area should be able to tell you if a strong flow is on or not.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1. yes, if there is not a flow on.
2.by inspecting every week-10 days to see if the stored nectar/honey is going up or down.
3 that depends on YOUR location, and the race/genetics of your bees.
join your local bee club or advertise for "local honey" and buy some and pick the producers brain as to LOCAL dates. nearly 100% of beekeepers will be glad to help you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts