Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have honey supers that are not ready to pull and extract, but we are going into a dearth. I want to start feeding with a remote feeder to maybe prevent robbing from getting started. What do I do with the supers, let them get full of syrup?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you have supers on that are partially full or full but uncapped, I would not feed at all. Your bees have resources to support them during the dearth.

If you intend to harvest the supers that are on, you should not feed and allow the supers to fill with sugar syrup.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
If you do a shake test or refractometer reading you may find that the honey, although not capped, is dried down enough to keep. If they are starting to use from those stores they often will not cap. If that is the case, extract, then feed. Syrup is a tenth the value of honey.

A 50$ refractometer saves a lot of puzzling!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have honey supers that are not ready to pull and extract, but we are going into a dearth. I want to start feeding with a remote feeder to maybe prevent robbing from getting started. What do I do with the supers, let them get full of syrup?

I would leave the super in place if your hive has a normal population of bees to protect the honey. With that in place, there's really no need to feed.

If you're worried about robbing, I would eliminate any top entrance (if present), and greatly reduce the size of the main front entrance.

Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts