Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long do you keep samples of your honey from previous years? they are starting to use up my available space.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Unless you have some reason to keep them I never even fill sample jars any more. I just take samples directly out of several drums per lot and mix them together to send to potential buyers. It got to be way too much clutter.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Until the barrel of honey has been successfully sold, and all parties are satisfied.
Then it goes in my tea.
Roland

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
We take 3 samples in 8oz queenline glass from each lot of ~10 drums, 2 for packers on request and 1 which we keep for 2 years. It comes down to a few cases which stack nicely in their original boxes.
Sheri

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
As I mentioned earlier we take from several drums per lot (representing 1 trailer load) and blend them into a sample of about 6 lbs. then send 8 oz. jars of identical honey to every packer we ever have or might possibly sell to; saving two back, one for reference and one for any unexpected buyer that might contact us. So with an average production of about 10 loads per year and 6 to 8 potential customers it gets to be a lot of samples. The advantage of doing this is it greatly simplifies the negotiation process and dosent give the packer the advantage of playing you for a period of time while samples are being sent in (amazing how often market conditions can change while waiting to hear back).
An interesting little observation is that we have already moisture tested and color graded (with the Hanna electronic grader) each sample. The real interesting part is the wide range of test results I get back from the packers. Makes you realize that honey testing is still somewhat subjective at best and possibly a bit dishonest at worst. Dont mean this as an indictment on all packers by any means as the majority of the time I feel that they are being honest with me. I have never yet had a disagreement with a packer that felt my samples were not representative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts