Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I market my family's honey around Michigan at local farmer's markets. While not technically a bee keeper, I have 4 cousins who've been keeping bees since the 60's. I joined the family business to spread the good word and to gradually get us out of wholesale and into the retail sphere. Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning all I can!

I have been getting a ton of customers asking for Manuka honey. Anyone know if there is a particular enzyme only found in Manuka that can't be found anywhere else (in a domestic honey).
Jay
www.heyhoney.biz
:)

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Welcome! The difference In Manuka Honey and any other honey Is floral source. The mānuka tree is Native to Australia and New Zealand. I had a long time friend from New Zealand, He once told me that Manuka honey was really not their best honey. He compared it to out goldenrod honey. I enjoy them both for their individual qualities and am capable of overlooking any down sides. They are all good to me.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
You might follow up with Oldtimer on Beesource. He's a NZ manuka honey beekeeper. I bet he can tell you anything you'd want about it.
I do know that it has been clinically tested as a treatment for wounds and burns and is likely to be found in any hospital burn unit worldwide. I think that the clinical properties are manuka honey's main draw...not its flavor. But, again, Oldtimer would be the expert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.