Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I extracted a few frames of honey frames left over from last year. Some of the frames when u cut the capping off had like clumps of sugar in the cells pictured below. Question is this. Is this still good? Good to sell ? Tastes different but no reason to think it’s fermented. Not sure what fermented honey tastes like but it’s not bitter. It was all capped. 0BD59F54-9EE2-46BF-85CA-5005E21868ED.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
If honey is left in the frames long enough, it can crystallize. Depending on the nectar source, it can crystallize pretty quickly. I would probably feed it back to my bees.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,561 Posts
extract those frames
use the honey your self for canning, baking, mead or some other thing, bread making even.
rinse the frames with warm water and reuse them, the comb is where the value is IMO

GG

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had some I extracted from deadouts this year, it was not noticeably fermented but, it tasted a little "off". I had my wife try it, and she thought it a little
"off". I dumped it because I sell only premium honey.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
If it is off, feed it back next dearth. If it tastes good and is not runny, it is good for use or sale. Honey does not spoil or noticeably deteriorate from age alone.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
242 Posts
I had the same problem this year. I think I'll change my sugar block feeding time from December to February.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
THanks! I always wondered abotu htis but never saw it. I have learned that when honey crystalizes it releases wome water. A volume of honey will then ferment as there is yeast in the honey. I have partially crystalized honey which ferments a bit when I warm it up to liquify it. Everybody love it - slightly fermented honey.

THe Dyce method for making creamed honey heats the honey to 150F for 15 minutes to pasturrize it, kill the yeast, and then cools off the honey to add finely ground honey crystals. Once converted to crystal the creamed honey is stable at cellar temperatures aorund 55- 65F. I am not sure what happens at coldre temperatures but I will find out. Then there is always Meade.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I feed crystallized honey frames back to colonies that need it. You can extract them as well if you've already uncapped but it's a bit of a waste of time. Nothing wrong with crystallized honey except it's harder to deal with and some markets only want liquid honey. No need to rinse off frames, the bees will either dump it or reconstitute it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts