Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that the Honey House build is on hold till spring, I am thinking ahead about a pump so I don't have to keep an eye on buckets under the extractor.
I have a 24 frame extractor and was wondering what some of you use?
Most of what comes up on line are $2000 or more.
I can dump a lot of buckets for that king of money.

So what do you use or recommend.

Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
I cant see one of those cork screw pumps costing $2k

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can make one for probably $300 with all new stuff. Not sure what the auger would cost.
Probably need a reduction gear setup, add a variable speed motor to make it super cool.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The nice thing is you can use the same portable pump for sugar syrup and for honey. Also from Bob Binnie.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does any one have any ideas about reasonably priced pumps?
Unfortunately most pumps designed to pump honey are fairly expensive. I bought my Maxant pump new in 2015 for $800 and it was one of the lowest priced pumps on the market. Today the same pump sells for $1800. It's a good pump, but like most gear pumps, the honey needs to be warm...around 80 degrees. I use it to pump from a Dadant pump control/straining tank into a holding tank before drawing it off into 5 gallon buckets for storage. I also use it to fill my bottling tank.
Unless you can find a good used one, I doubt you will find a good pump for much less. Yes, they are pricey!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The nice thing is you can use the same portable pump for sugar syrup and for honey. Also from Bob Binnie.

Had the honor of meeting Seth, wished I had his energy. Great guy. I'm older than dirt and at a get together in Tn Seth, Molly and think John was there. Wished we had them on a team.

·
Registered
Feral Tennessee Bees.
8 Posts
Whichever route you go, watch the specs…

Maxant - 1/3 hp 1” gear pump - $1800
Mann Lake - 3/4 hp Roper 1.5” gear pump - $1895
Dadant - 1 hp Roper 1.5” gear pump, with jack shaft and pulleys to give 4 speeds - $2141

More power is handy, variable speed can be handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts