Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are you selling clover or wildflower honey per Lb ? I live in the Midwest and I am curious what the local prices are and how much I should sell for to be competitive.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How much are you selling clover or wildflower honey per Lb ? I live in the Midwest and I am curious what the local prices are and how much I should sell for to be competitive.
Thanks
Why be competitive?

With who?

Your neighbor or Walmart?

If you are a small beek go ahead and price it at the extreme end and see what inventory you have in 6 months...

I told one of my package customers to do this 4 years back. He raised it from 5 to 8 bucks a pound back then ( fretting may i say at the advice) and it still disappeared and the demand GREW... Try $10 a pound in small containers and wait to see what happens. No use giving it away. I don't sell packages for free and you shouldn't give honey away for free either.

If people scowl at you for being higher than the jar around the corner politely explain to them why yours is superior and let them decide if they want junk or your liquid gold!! If you are firm and confident many will buy.... enough to get rid of what you have at a margin where the work is worth it.

PS we retail some of ours at 17-20 and it goes at that price. .... Its about being marketed correctly.

If you don't believe so look at the following link. We produce a good share of the honey these folks sell and they keep begging for more inventory purchased at a price where we both do well. http://www.marshallshoney.com/c-74-star-thistle.aspx

·
Registered
165 Posts
Being familiar with local pricing is fine, but I agree with h4all. You will build a word of mouth business and it is not easy to raise prices later when you have developed a rapport with your customers. Pick a price you will be happy with 3 years from now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
last year was my first package and we had a 15 LB harvest so we just filled 30 8oz bottles and sold them easily for $5 each, my friend who got me started sold 1lb for $6 and 2lb for $10 last year. He said "Wow i should raise my prices"

·
Registered
317 Posts
I sold my spring honey last year at $12 for 14 oz. Sold out.
Promote your honey as RAW never heated, if you don't use chemical treatment promote Natural.
I advertise my honey on Facebook at a group I started buy local eat fresh.

Good Luck

·
Registered
542 Posts
$7 - 1# in plastic squeeze
$8 - 1# glass jar
$10 - 1# Muth jar
$10 - 1# Chunk comb honey
$15 - 2# Glass
$20 - 3# Jug
$7 - 4oz Honey butter (1/2 pint)
$3 - Bees wax lip balm (5 different flavors)
$5 - Bees wax lotion 2oz

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Why be competitive?

With who?

Your neighbor or Walmart?

If you are a small beek go ahead and price it at the extreme end and see what inventory you have in 6 months...

I told one of my package customers to do this 4 years back. He raised it from 5 to 8 bucks a pound back then ( fretting may i say at the advice) and it still disappeared and the demand GREW... Try $10 a pound in small containers and wait to see what happens. No use giving it away. I don't sell packages for free and you shouldn't give honey away for free either.

If people scowl at you for being higher than the jar around the corner politely explain to them why yours is superior and let them decide if they want junk or your liquid gold!! If you are firm and confident many will buy.... enough to get rid of what you have at a margin where the work is worth it.

PS we retail some of ours at 17-20 and it goes at that price. .... Its about being marketed correctly.
If you don't believe so look at the following link. We produce a good share of the honey these folks sell and they keep begging for more inventory purchased at a price where we both do well. http://www.marshallshoney.com/c-74-star-thistle.aspx
^ This. I get $10 pound and they don't blink an eye. Depending on this years crop I might go up. And I sell word of mouth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts