Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get everyones opinion on whether this looks like honey or sugar syrup in this picture. I have been feeding them 1:1 since I have hived them on 12 april. However, in the last few days they have stopped taking the syrup so I took out the feeder. Let me know what you think. 20140513_193235.jpg 20140513_193245.jpg

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It's impossible to tell by looking but considering that you have been feed constantly I would assume it to be feed. If it's virtually tasteless it is certainly feed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the only reason I'm asking is because the color of it. I have see there stored syrup before and it was much clearer than what is in this comb.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I suspect it is mostly syrup, but the bees are no respecter of source, they'll add from other sources, so probably mixed. I have noticed that they will take feed and store it in comb. I've been mixing some 30 year old honey with fresh syrup to give some honey flavor to the syrup, and the result is darker. This then shows up directly in the combs. So I expect it is both nectar and syrup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts