Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first year keeper and was wondering how much honey to leave on for winter? I have two deep hive bodys full of brood and added a medium super for honey. They are filling the super and beginning to cap it. Do I need to leave all ten frames of honey on the hive for winter? Can I take any of that honey or do I need to hope they fill a second super with honey so that I can have some. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i generally take the supers off and let them "backfill" the 2 deeps with the fall flow-unless it fails, as is common here, then i feed them sugar syrup or honey to "backfill" with. during the summer dearth the queen will drastically slow down laying and when the brood hatches it will not be replaced- leaving room for winter stores.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I will do my last extraction in late August or early September depending on weather patterns. And store all surplus supers, this will give them adequate time to forage on late season nectar and pollen sources like goldenrod. And will force them to backfill the brood chambers, and provide adequate food reserves of 70 to 90 pounds. The queen will be starting to slow down from her peak egg laying in mid summer, the workers will use the vacant brood comb to stock up for winter.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
All good advice, your bees will need a full super distributed somewhere in the hive. If there is no Fall nectar you will need to feed sugar syrup before the temps drop. They cannot afford to break cluster or waste resources on processing sugar when it gets cold. There are several threads on the forums of beehavers that fed late. I am sorry they lost their hives. You should still have plenty to extract before Fall. Just do not take it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts